Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Reality of the Day-to-Day with the Pebble Smartwatch

The Pebble has gotten a TON of press, so I'm not going to rehash my whole product experience. I'm far too late to the game to pull that. Instead I want to share some of the unexpected things I've found from life with a Pebble.


  1. Battery life is not as advertised. It isn't bad, but 3-4 days is no 7 days. However, with a charger as beautifully designed as this one, I genuinely don't mind at all.
  2. Do Not Disturb Mode - Your iPhone might adhere to Do Not Disturb mode, but your Pebble won't.
  3. Light as a feather - really threw me off at first, but I love it.
  4. Forget using it to golf. One of the top features I was looking forward to was using it on the golf course. I'm going to say, "there is NO golf GPS support." Then someone will reply, "Yes there is, there is Free Caddie." Then I will reply, "Exactly, there is NO golf GPS support." 
  5. RunKeeper is a keeper. I walk 1-3x per day, and RunKeeper support is wonderful while you're using it. I just wish I didn't have to disconnect/reconnect/reboot the app/reconnect again httpebble every time I was finished using RunKeeper.
  6. Dis-Connectivity. Bluetooth connectivity between watch and phone is incredible, no issues there. However, if you use httpebble for anything (watch faces with data on them for example) you'll find it disconnects 5-15 times per day, 100% of the time after using RunKeeper.
  7. Limited to 9 watch faces stored on the watch.
  8. Soft plastic face scratches easily.
This only looks like a list of (mostly) complaints because the praise has already been given. This is a very cool watch, it was very fun to be part of the Kickstarter craziness, and I still chose to wear it ever day. I like my Pebble, but it hasn't changed my life like I expected it to. It is exactly what you'd expect, a first revision product from a new (ish) hardware company.

I have high hopes for the company and their future. They made a splash in the industry disproportionate to their size in the tech world. Perhaps most importantly, they put wearable technology onto front pages of papers across the nation and into conversations of people who I would never have expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment